Monday, October 26, 2009

Today may be the Day – A Personal Celebration

October 31st, 2008 was the launch of Misty Hollow Carving – my brand new Wood Carving Business! WOW what a leap that was! I headed out into a direction that I had never been before. What an adventure it was.

Today… just 5 days short of the Oct 31, my Web Site is about to push over into a new record area. At this moment it is sitting at 9715 hits for this month. It only needs another 285 hits to go over the 10,000 hits per month. So far the site has been getting about 380 per day… so today could be the day!!!! Wahoo!

I know… I know… it is personal thing and not everyone gets that excited about the things I get excited about. Sorry… I think it is the “computer geek” in me that gets twisted a bit when stuff like this happens.

In the computer Web Page World there are some amazing people that can do all kinds of kinky things with code – and take time to be just a little more creative than anyone else… they have photos coming from one side and the other – photostreaming that blows me away. I mean these things are so cool!

When I sat with one of these guys he was ready to sell me his ability. He looked at my Web Page and kind of cleared his throat with its simplicity… and kindly said… “This is interesting...” Having my Web Site on his Computer Monitor beside his Web Pages was kind of embarrassing… HIS WERE DEFINITELY PRETTY and MINE WAS PLAIN…

“This is interesting…” can mean – “Who did this for you dummy…? It is too old and too simple to be any good for anything…! I feel sorry for you… did your grandson design this…?”

As we stood their in front of his machine and he talked about what he could do for a certain heavy price… I nearly choked. If I had to pay that I would have to carve 100 Celtic Love Spoons, 50 Santa Clauses and about 25 Teddy Bears’ faces. Did I look rich or what?

The promise that it would look better! He was probably correct with his assumption – it definitely would have more fancy stuff on it.

Being a business man as he was… a great sales man… able to create some insecurity in the customer’s heart and mind… and then explain what he could do to relieve the insecurity with a whole new design and plan… He was good.

At the right point he was about to make the “closing” and point out the one last thing that was the “killer part” of his presentation.

He pointed to the fact that most people’s Web Sites are taking a huge amount of time to develop, maybe even by a teenager that doesn’t know what he or she is really suppose to do, and are getting very few hits per month at the end of it all.

“Most people don’t realize that it is the amount of hits per month that count. Often these home grown pages are less than 45 to maybe 150 per months. Can you tell me how many hits you have per month? How many people visit your Misty Hollow Carving Web Page which I noticed is not called Misty Hollow Carving but rather murraylincoln.com?” he stated/questioned.

I kind of sputtered and wasn’t sure if what I was about to say would be good or bad. At this point I wasn’t too proud of my Web Page. I looked at him and said slowly – with kind of question in my voice… “I think it is about 8,000 per month – or maybe that is an average of 7,500. Something like that – I think…”

His sales spin stopped him in mid air… he popped his head up at me and asked again… “No how many HITS does your Web Site get each month… not in a year… a MONTH?”

I thought that I had made a mistake… and then carefully stated again, “I think it is about 8,000 per month – or maybe that is an average of 7,500. Something like that… I know one month recently it hit about 8575 but that was a high number and I wasn’t sure if it was correct or not.”

He looked at me and said slowly… Your Web Site gets 8000 hits per month!? Your kidding – right?!?”

“No – I think that is right. I checked it a few weeks ago and that is what was stated in my Control Panel”

I told him that not all the hits come from Peterborough but rather from all over the world.

Today I checked these out and it said that this month visitors to my Web Site have come from Greece, France, Malaysia, Australia, Germany, US Educational, Singapore, Brazil, US Government, Peru, India, Ireland, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Lithuania, Finland, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Portugal, China, Seychelles, Egypt, Old style Arpanet, and Israel as well as all over Canada and the USA in general.

I would seriously like to go back to talk with him again in a week or so and tell him that I hit over 10,000 in one month.

Maybe it is MALE thing… but it would kind of be fun to do it.

I know there are some other things that I should do to my Web Site but it is the time issue that is the problem. Maybe I do need the dude with all the knowledge to help my Web Site .

The best part is that the Web Site has produced new orders that have more than paid for Misty Hollow Carving’s Web Site

Now having said all that…
Perhaps today you can do something for me. If you would be so kind to Copy/Paste this string into an email to say a dozen or so of your friends… http://www.murraylincoln.com/ - I could hit another record in a very short time… maybe even by the end of the day.

And if all goes well – I will receive some new orders for this Christmas season. I do need more new orders for Misty Hollow Carving.

Celtic Love Spoons as a Christmas Gift are super. I have a number ready to go… only $40 plus $3.20 Tax – and then shipping to wherever you want it to go… A BARGAIN…!

Then I have developed a “Recession Santa” that has a very small stomach with his belt tightened… but a smile on his face. He is also only $45 plus $3.60 tax…

Thanks a MILLION for your help to tell people about my Misty Hollow Carving and http://www.murraylincoln.com/

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

No comments: