Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mouse Brains and Mine

Thanks Joe. Great article.

When I first heard the initial reports coming about the findings of researchers at Toronto Sick Children’s Hospital – I grinned. There just had to be a story in this one. Joe Hall at The Star did a great job on this reflection of the report that has just been released.

Joe states…
“Something horrible happens. A child is lost. A bomb goes off. A car goes out of control.

And deep in the brain, in the lateral amygdala region, a scattered set of neurons come to life and begin to vibrate with fear.

Through an ingenious set of experiments, a group of researchers at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children have not only located these terror-laden brain cells in mice, but erased them – along with the frightening memories they stored.”


Back in February 2009 the “Mail Online” in the UK reported that a drug was now available to erase the bad memories. It demonstrated the use of the experimental use of the drug (beta-adrenergic receptor blockers). And it notes that the Dutch have been experimenting with this for a while.

Joe Hall points out that the Canadians have found the area of the brain that the bad memories are stored in. I think I got that right…

Now I am a lay person that works basically with lay persons. We don’t have a lot of Brain Researchers in our family. The info that I have about this topic is spotty to say the least. But here I go with a coffee shop reflection/water cooler comment for this week….

Suppose that they can develop this further… and erase my bad memories. First – they will have a hard time separating mine – they all seem to be dumped in together. In my layman term – they are linked or dumped in one big lot – twisted and tied together.

In the Bad Memory Anti Room of my brain… my BMAR… there are a whole bunch of them all messed together. If you could physically see it – it would look like my garage I am sure – messy.

If you take out the BM from my BMAR – all of the BM will likely go at the same time.
Let me try that one out.

One Old Lady with white hair in my life – that is OLWWH – was a royal nightmare to work with. When she even came into the same room I cringed with the memories of what happened over the years before. If I try to sort out all the OLWWH memories – all the memories of OLWWH in them will be zapped too. That is not fair – only one or maybe two OLDWWH have been a real pain.

Now my question is with these “beta blockers” – can they nuke my memories with one OLWWH? – and not all of them? The lady’s husband certainly might like a good dose of the Memory Beta Blocker… I really don’t know how he lives with it all the time.

That is when my covering thought made me smile. I thank the Lord that I never married something like that OLWWH…!

There is my first scientific experiment – “Warm, Fuzzy and Funny Thoughts” cover the bad memories. That is… the WFAFT cover the BM in the BMAR.

Second experiment…
We were at a public beach. We were laying on our towels and enjoying the warm sunshine. I opened my eyes and there not far from us were two people preparing their own spot on that beach. Goodness gracious – what a sight… it was awful… it was horrible… it was gross… it was not something I want my grandkids seeing… I would never been able stop them from snickering… or out right yelling… “Grandpa look at that!”

The two people were women with an extreme endowment of extra skin… that was filled with large amounts of generous fatty tissue. The large amounts of skin hung over their very small bathing suits. No kidding they were wearing two piece suits that should really be called – ½ Two piece… or less.

It was one big bad memory. I grin even today when I “see” that memory again. That bad memory has kept me from putting on a ½ One Piece bathing suit… in fact maybe it is why I don’t really enjoy swimming today. I have my own abundance of extra skin filled with fatty tissue now… and as I might spread out my own towel on the beach some day… there may be some one watching… Bad Memory!

Now if I used a “beta blocker for my memory” – I might not remember that putting on that kind of bathing suit just aint right… Come to think of it the two beached whales that day may have been an experiment from a scientific laboratory somewhere. Sheesh!

I know some folk with obnoxious brother-in-laws… and if the bad memories were blocked – they might not remember to not invite the slob the next time.

I know some folk with real bad memories of their teenagers. If these were blocked they would have never the fun when that teenager grows up and has kids of his own… that are absolute nightmares. These folk would miss the biggest bit of humor God has… “make em pay”!

Try this experiment on your own world. If the BM in your life was removed from your BMAR – what would be different?

I think the scientists and researchers are messing with something that they don’t shouldn’t mess with.

I already have a great method that is God given… “avoidance” and “humor” – the A and H factor. When and if that OLWWH ever comes in or near me – I can hum and move on… I don’t ever have to go home with her…. Da da dee… hee hee!

As to whether this is a good thing or bad… I have friends that are already losing it. One fellow I know tells me the same stories over and over again. I think he does anyway… and just in case I haven’t heard that story I laugh heartily each time he tells it… over and over again.

Both of us are losing our minds and memories – good and bad. Why would I want to purposely rush it?

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Sources:
Should Painful Memories Be Erased
Memory Issues – from the UK

No comments: