Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Communication is down!

Panic Mode… Beep..Beep..Beep! Warning..Warning..Warning! Communication is down!

I turned on the Computer and then attempted a connect to the Internet. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I tried many different things and NOTHING HAPPENED. I am all alone in this remote outskirts of Cyber Space… I am in a No Zone – and alone. What the dickens is going on – no Internet Connection – what will I ever do?

A friend of mine sent an email the other day describing his jaunt to another country. Rod lives in Estonia and he traveled to Slovakia for a series of meetings. In his email he described the fact that he was not able to get on to the Internet – likely because there is none where he went to – and the feelings that he was disconnected from his family because of it. His daughter is very connected to Rod and misses him a lot.

There are dozens of other stories that I could tell where we see the Internet has become a vital part of our lives. Your reading this Blog is proof enough of your own connectivity – many read it all the time.

Add to that the Cell Phones that we use. Some are not just simple Cell Phones but a sophisticated communication device.

A young lady by the name of Michelle, that we know, that had graduated from Trent University in Peterborough and is now living in Malaysia. I was working on my computer. Suddenly there was a “Bing” and a message from Michelle appeared on my screen… she was sending me a message and with the message came a photo of some Wood Carving she had just looked at in Bali. I am working in Peterborough on a cool Winter/Spring night… and she is walking through the Market in Bali loving the warmth and taking photos for me.

When I zoom back to 100 years ago my Great Grandfather had just moved to Southern Saskatchewan to build up his new farm and work the land. Telegraph was a main means of communication. Telephone had not yet come to that area – even though it was invented a quarter century before the time.

Communication was one neighbor to the next – “BWOM” – “By Word Of Mouth”. No wonder they loved to get together at a community function.

I was musing with some one not long ago what it would be like to be “back then”. I am not sure that I could take the disconnectedness.

For many years my Grandpa Kirk was the “Line Man” for the area. After a storm or a trouble with broken equipment he would travel to the troubled spot and fix it. A new pole, more line and maybe new equipment would get things up and running.

On the farm there was a pile of old telephone poles and lots or wire laying in one area that he used to get people connected. We played on the piles and chicken laid their eggs under them. Memories…

As you can see the communication came back for me with an Internet connection. The appearance of the magic icon that tells me I am on line again… was a relief.

Reflecting on this I have thought about my prayer life. There are times that God must wonder at the connection. I am too busy running to take time to call. He must think the line is down – or the communication is broken. There are other times that I call him – there seems to be no answer – and I find that my own “machine” is not turned on.

My “prayer life” is my most up to date HI – “Heaven’s Internet” connection and man do I ever need it.

Ooops – I have to run... God just called… and the message said it was very important.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

No comments: