Monday, March 16, 2009

Church Debt

When my friend suggested that I look up the words “Church Foreclosure” in a Google Search I was amused. But after reading the accounts given – it isn’t amusing any more. Across the USA churches have lost their buildings to worship. The Financial Institution is often the one that buys the building after foreclosure is started.

In Canada I am not aware that any of our churches to date have had this happen. However there are some that are close to making some frightening moves toward radical changes.

The fact is that giving has dropped and is dropping 15% or more. People are more worried about their own lessening amounts than that of the church. The reality is we must be concerned about the amount of food that we put on our own tables and the taking care of our own kids – before we look after the community.

Reaching out was a good thing to do 35 years ago… but today staying alive is more important.

I spoke with one man the other day at Home Depot. He has lost over $150,000 in investments that were producing his simple income. It is now gone and so is the monthly income. There was no pension other than the investments and now he is back working at 72 years old and so is his wife at 70.

This couple is unlikely to join our congregation and become “big givers” paying off our church debt… which incidentally was created by people attending in 1978- 1980… and today have either left the church or passed into their heavenly reward – a mansion on a street paved with gold.

Did some one make a mistake and build too large (Northview Peterborough)? Maybe? But no one would have known that 2009 realities would be quite so stark as they are. Not likely.

As my friend pointed out – churches are shut down at times when things are really rough.

One article that I read pointed to the Great Depression and many churches were closed. People moved away for work and also lost their jobs – on mass. And guess what – there was nothing left to pay the bills with.

I am doing a glum report today I know. But it is possible for our churches to suffer just like everyone else – and our history proves it.

Now with a number of churches not full – should we join together? But then who would lead? Who would take the money and which church would we pay for first?

I bet you came to the same conclusion as I did… it wouldn’t work.

Now if Calvary Church in Peterborough would help Northview Church in Peterborough – maybe. Naw it won’t work… Calvary is reported to have $4.5 Million Debt. Northview would have to help Calvary… by moving over to Calvary and then paying Calvary’s bill down…after selling Northview off at a reduced rate….which might pay off Calvary’s whole debt. Then Calvary that is not yet filled will accommodate Northview’s congregation.

Naw that won’t work either.

Maybe Calvary could sell and move into the Northview’s building and help pay off its approximately $750,000 debt.

Naw that won’t work either. Who would buy either building when we already have a stack of unsold buildings in the city that won’t sell either. The old Bible College is a prime example – they are in need of unloading this monster to get clear of debt as well.

Do you catch the dilemma that we are in church wise?

As pastor of Northview I would only think scary thoughts about debt. Now as a church member I look at it differently. I am no longer responsible for the debt. I can pray for it but not think of it every waking moment. And does that ever feel good.

I pray for Tim Taylor the new pastor at Northview – because he must be just about feeling it now. And then there is Pastor Frank with the $4.5 Million of dreams each night.

I suddenly feel free… really free.

I am not sure of an answer. We did have a millionaire of two attending church at Northview – but they are gone now. I thought maybe…but they said no….

I am sure that God is interested. He is likely behind the recent down turns. People tend to pray more when they are in trouble. That is good.

I need more time to read and think about what other churches have and are doing.

This will be a better day… I am sure of it…. I am….

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

Sources:
Church problems and Bankruptcy

No comments: