Monday, March 9, 2009

The 2009 Trolls Under Bridges of My Life

I think I first heard the story of the Troll under the bridge when I was about 5 years old. One of my aunts read the small children’s book with the pictures in it.

There under the Bridge lived a Troll that would pop out and capture the people(particularly the kids) that walked over the bridge. That is about as much as I can remember of the story from 60 years ago.

Whatever the Troll did – he had a tendency to slow down the traveler.

My life lately has had a few Trolls situated along the way slowing me down. In fact as I look back all of the bridges lately have had trolls under them… sheesh! Maybe you can identify with this thought.

As some of you know I am building a business of Wood Carving – Misty Hollow Carving – to help support ourselves. It started with a BANG in November last Fall… then flew through December with success… but an “Anti-Bang” happened on January and February – poof everyone that should have been there – weren’t. In a Recession Minded world and the middle of cold, snowy winter… NOTHING HAPPENS in business.

That is where the Trolls of my life come in… the things that slow me down… causing me to hesitate from crossing Bridges that I have along the way. I now recognize them and can either avoid them or know how to deal with each one.

First you need to know what a Troll is. Wikipedia gives little hope of any the old idea of Trolls. Trolls in their world are ranging from Computer/Internet Programs go looking for people… to the Gay World… to whatever.

I found one Web Site that may describe better what Trolls are like – the “Home of the Arensbak Trolls” (These Trolls are cute however – a little different from 60 years ago…)

In Life a Troll is kind of Ugly at the same time as being Kind of Cute – drawing you off the path that you are on. In my case that means distraction… things that come along to throw you off track… things that make forward not possible.

You need some examples I know.

Well try TV for me and a favorite Program(s). A study was done of recently retired men… they watch an average of 40 Hours of TV each week! That is FORTY HOURS – yes you read it right. I may not quite yet hit that average – but it is a time waster for me…. that I love.

Another study told of Older Men like me… that have found their new love in the Computer World… their minds are sucked out of the their skulls with the hours upon hours of time they spend on the machine.

One couple I know is in serious problems with the one partner now only speaking to the other unless the computer is on… then they are totally distracted with the partner doing their email, Facebook, MSN, Skype and a dozen other games including Solitaire and Mind Field and “WOW” – at the same time.

I am not that bad – but I love a good round of SIM City or SIM Golf where I am the man in charge – the Mayor of Murray-ville and Supreme Power of Lincoln City. Oh Yah Baby! Powa – ooo da Powa!

Have you ever played “Wii” – ooooiee – where you can spend hours trying to get to the next level? When I got stuck at Two 54s in Playing Nine Ball… I had to switch over to the Tank Game – which I can now make level 12 (my grandsons can get to Level 14 or higher).

The silly young adults around me play hour upon hour with their different Internet Games. Can you believe it?!!?

Old Guys like me can as well… sheesh.

Now add to that whole “Game Troll” idea the fact that there are about one million necessary distractions like Faucets that won’t work and house things that break and stuff that happens and doctor’s appointments and yadda, yadda. Yadda… I then have discovered the Out of Routine Trolls that suck the day time hours away – COMPLETELY!

One more Troll that does it job is the “Feeling Down Troll” that sucks the life out of me. The thoughts of what is needed to be done… the snow outside… the cold weather… the stay inside mode that promises that we will never see sunshine again… and you have met the “Feeling Down Troll”. Oh Boy…

Under all my Bridges lately I have found New and Old Trolls that slow me down – capture me – take me prisoner and slow any progress.

As I have thought of it… the Bridge was designed to get me over the river or gorge below allowing me to get on with life. Someone built that Bridge for travelers like me. I just cannot be distracted with the stuff that is below… the Trolls that lay there to trap and entangle.

How about you?

I gotta run now. Some one is coming to take me for a Coffee at Tim Hortons. Later someone else is in need of a few minutes… and then I have to run over to that store to see if there are anymore bargains… I am taking my “Anti Troll Spray”… nothing is going to stop me… you better believe it!!!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

No comments: