Tuesday, February 3, 2009

One of Man’s Greatest Temptations

My body shook as I turned the corner early this morning. It was very early and a very odd time to be taken by such a powerful temptation. I could hardly pass this point in the house. That point in time will not be forgotten for months to come. I cannot come by here again – I must resist… I simply must.

What produces such powerful and deeply attractive things in our lives? Why can’t I resist? I am a deeply spiritual person. I should be able to draw on the strengths from the deepest spiritual areas of my life and resist. But I cannot.

From the moment that I passed that spot I knew I was done. I will yield before the hour is up… I know I will. The temptation trap has been laid out and I am done for!

This has happened before. I know my weakness. One day I was on a downtown street walking quickly to my next appointment and “Kerbam” it hit me again. I was stopped dead in my tracks and then turned into the place of temptation and yielded. The sense was over powering and I could not stop myself… I simply lost it!

But I have to admit this was not the first time that this particular temptation was part of my life. It has happened over and over again – for way over 64 years of my life… at least all the part that I can remember. Well maybe it has only been 62 years that the problem has existed.

It is however more dangerous in this past few years as I age. As I approach my later years and potential health risk factors – this addiction is downright destructive.

Can you guess my addiction or reason for it?

One more hint to share with you that may help. My Grandma Emma Kirkpatrick was the one most responsible for this addiction. Following that my own mother contributed to this down fall.

Just before we would leave my Grandma’s place heading back to the city from their farm at Truax, Saskatchewan – she would ask my parents if she could give the kids something to eat on the road.

Now there was the second hint.

The major addiction is to fresh home made bread! Ahhhaaah! I cannot resist.

We bought a new bread maker. Last night my wife set the timer so that the fresh loaf would be done by 5:30 AM. Araaaghh! As I walked by this morning the powerful machine it was putting the finishing touch on a fresh loaf. Bing Bing Bing it was done. Arrrraaaaghhhh! I opened the lid… Hot Hot Hot… aaah! Get an oven mitt!

The smell is out if this world outside my office at this moment. I cannot resist the impulse of taking that long knife and slowly slicing, lovingly through that golden crust. The loaf must be cooler than it is at the moment. My wife said that it needs one hour of cooling…. I can’t wait!!!! I ca….. ait….
Now… if it is a cooler winter day where you are and you are going crazy with the indoor stuff that is so boring – fresh bread will make the difference. It will place a smile on your face from ear to ear. And with fresh strawberry jam ladled on to the thick layer of butter… one bite will place some jam on your face as well… but you must make the bite deep and very wide.

Oh man it is good early in the morning!

Now I have to complete this morning’s exercise routine. I just passed the 30 mile marker of walking for 2009. I am heading for a personal record if I can. Today I will walk faster with the smell in the house.

Man oh man do I love home made bread.

And the downtown failure of yielding to my temptation….? It is a bakery on one of our main streets. Every once and a while the exhaust fans puff out a mighty whoof of fresh bread aroma. Guaranteed it will make your knees weak… and you just have to go in. Oh boy! Oh Boy! Oh….boy!

Sorry I have to run now. I gotta…. get… something…. done…
Arrgghhh!

~ Murray Lincoln ~

No comments: