Sunday, February 8, 2009

GO – GO – GO- POTENTIAL

Chris called his mom on her cell phone to ask a question. Simple enough it seems. He was staying home with his brother and he was bored. Mom was at a meeting. Chris needed something to do.

“Mom can I do a chore?” was the question. “Sure – why not…” and mom gave him a suggestion.

The cell phone rang again, “Mom I did that chore, what else can I do… can I unload the dishwasher?” Mom was a little puzzled at this stage, “Sure, you are my big helper.” Thinking to herself there should be no problem with that and I will be home soon.

The cell phone rang again, “Mom I got that done, can I load the dishwasher with the dirty dishes in the sink?” There was a pause and mom answered, “Okay, just be careful” thinking to herself again, not much could go wrong with that request either and I will be home soon.

The cell phone rang one more time. “Mom can I set the table for dinner?” Mom paused a little before answering trying to think of what might be happening at home. “Okay, thank you. See you in a few minutes.”

When Mom arrived home Chris had put the clean dishes away. He had loaded the dishwasher with some effort – not perfect but it was done. And the big thing – the best chore – the table was set ready for dinner… with everything in place. Each person had a plate – the right size for each of them…big for adults, smaller for the kids… cups and cutlery… and in front of each person was their name. Two hot pads were on the table with casserole dishes sitting on them - empty. Some names were made from Wood (that had been made in Grandpa’s Garage). For the people that did not have names – Chris had cut out a hand crafted name from paper with his own writing on it.

The table was perfect.

Chris is 7 years old. And Chris is MY grandson! Whoa! Am I proud when I heard that story yesterday – or what???!! Chris is all boy, mischievous, moving, sweating, giggling and full of life. His teacher told him this past few weeks that he doesn’t always have to be the class clown. She gave him a book to read called, “Class Clown”. Chris is also the youngest of four sons – and number six on our grandkid list.

Yesterday, we traveled to Whitby, Ont. to watch our grandsons play hockey in a very large arena. Chris’ brother, Thomas, had his birthday yesterday turning eleven years old.

I stood at the safety glass that surrounds the ice rink holding a large PINK SIGN that screamed (along with me)… “Yeah Thomas. Happy Birthday!” I know that it helped in that he had two goals and his team won!!!! You want to believe that this grandpa is proud!!!
Following Thomas’s game, Chris’ team hit the ice on another pad of ice. Chris plays forward and is fast. Just a few years ago at 5 years old it was a ball to watch him and all his fellow players just to stand up on ice and then chase the puck a few feet without falling. Chris now at 7 is a bullet… and I think a potential NHL Hockey Star in the making. His name is really, Christopher “ZOOMER” Rourke ( I renamed him) and he flies down the ice. He had four breakaways and four good shots on goal. Chris told me later that he is working on making his shots hit the goal now! He missed by an inch each time!!!

His brother Michael was practicing at another arena at the time Chris and Thomas were playing in Whitby. His dad was with Michael.

Michael is something else. In class he is brilliant. There is nothing hard about school – except maybe that it isn’t enough for his brain. In class he is almost perfect…a joy to have… always getting his work done on time… does well in Math, Languages, Science…yadda yadda… and is a leader in Gym… yadda.. yadda…wow! Now this is at least Canada’s next astronaut, top scientist and did I tell you an excellent hockey player and baseball player?

The last game that we attended yesterday was their oldest son Jonathan’s. Tall and ready. Handsome. Good at defense and playing a solid position each time his shift was on the ice. What grace and ability this young man shows at 12 years old. At home he is the number one son and carries out his responsibility with an ability of a much older boy. With three siblings he is the best and the big brother to the other three.

What do I see outside of the pride that I have? I see POTENTIAL! I see unbelievable POTENTIAL.

The only thing that stinks is that I am aging as fast as they are growing up. At the end of aging there is a slowness that comes and a final long sleep. That end means that I may not see all the POTENTIAL… yet there may be hope still.

In the stands yesterday was the OLDEST FAN. I checked out every face and every person that I could see. The very oldest might have been my age…or maybe just a touch older. There was NO ONE there that was over 87 years old…except GREAT GRANDMA LINCOLN, my mom who is now 88.
When we came out of the arena between games we settled down around a box of donuts. Ravishing boys plowed through their share. Great Grandma picked out the ones that she liked. They savored the moment together.

As the boys ate on, Great Grandma leaned over to me and said, “I am warm, I am full and I am watching my great grandsons play hockey – what more could I wish for. This is great!”

Great Grandma Lincoln has watched all her grandkids come along. I think that she and Grandpa Lincoln were at every grandchild’s birth week – if not right there, they looked after the siblings. Now she is watching her Grandkids fulfill their parenting skills.

I look at the Grandkids and see potential for them. I look at my mom and see potential for me.

Yeah Christopher, Michael, Emma, Thomas, Jonathan and Clifford. Grandpa is rooting for you. Go… Go… GO… GO… !!!! And as long as I get at least one Tim Bit(small donut) I am happy – what more could I ask for?

~ Murray Lincoln ~ This is a HOCKEY MOM! - My daughter Anda... mother of four... still a class clown...

And her son... when doing Homework KILLS him...

No comments: