Thursday, February 12, 2009

Jigsaw Puzzle Pleasure

Rediscovering the simple joys of big Jigsaw Puzzle on a cold winter’s day is wonderful. This winter I pulled a couple out and tried them again.

It brings back the rainy day experience at a cottage. Too wet to go outside and do anything – so with a warm cup of Hot Chocolate and a quiet table top the pieces pop out at you as you eyes survey the puzzle. Add to that the sound of the rain dripping from the roof – and it is perfect.

Doing a puzzle in winter time makes it summer time for me.

One thing I have noticed is that it takes time. It can fill an evening up with such a simple pleasure – one piece at a time… then a section… then the dark areas that all look a like… then the light stuff at the top. Slowly the beautiful photo appears. The simple joy of finding that one piece that wasn’t there an hour ago!

As I was working on the Jigsaw Puzzle of the inside of the aircraft cockpit it was slow moving. The puzzle was very old – so old that the box did not have the IPC Bar Code on the side of it – placing it back about 40 years ago. We had given this to my dad years ago as a Christmas Present – he was a pilot. His name was Clifford.

Just after I had assembled the outside pieces with all the straight pieces in place… the grandkids came over for a time with us.

Clifford, named with Great Grandpa in mind (actually two of his Great Grandpas were named Clifford), sat down to work on the puzzle. I couldn’t remember when he did a puzzle last…maybe small ones but not the 500 to 1000 piece kind. He never ever sat still enough for that when he was younger!

I had to do some Grandpa Chores and Clifford began working on the puzzle alone. When I returned whole sections were together… all of the one kind of dark… then whole rows of light… click, click, click… pop, pop, pop…

This young mind is SO FAST. He is like a machine that never stops. So very intent to get it done and help me..

In the corner of the room we have an old clock that ticks steadily. The basement rumpus room is warm and quiet – except when you turn on the TV or watch a DVD. Clifford was just happy to sit quietly working by himself.

It is a simple family pleasure passed from generation to generation in our family. Now it is done again to at least one grand child.

As I sat working with Clifford, the growing child with an almost adult body at 13 – I thought back to 13 old time for me. Many memories flooded back to warm me… It was a happy time as well. So many memories – so very many!

I remember that lakeside cottage on Manitoulin Island.. a rainy afternoon… and rain drops and a puzzle. I remember that east room in the old farm house in rural Saskatchewan… the wind was whistling around the house… snow curling in eddies of snow drifts… a thick frost on the window pane… and a puzzle.

Winter for us is slowing down. The puzzle is almost done. The 13 year old is growing quickly… and may not be so interested in puzzles this time next year. But for now I have captured another wonderful memory.

Thanks Clifford for sitting with Grandpa. This winter was a special one.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
Try...

No comments: