Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Flying Beer and Over Happy Fans

When I first got wind of the story I was drinking my coffee early in the morning. Imagine – stupid fans got so riled up that they began throwing stuff on to the baseball field at the Roger’s Centre in T.O.? It appears that they were drunk and began to fight with each other. Can you imagine? And that is in Toronto and Canada.

As a result the Rogers Center will be DRY for the next three events as part of their punishment. The people entering the gates will each be checked and the line ups will grow in length as people try to get into their games/events.

Why are people like this? I do not promote the drinking of alcohol at these events – it… I believe leads to unruly behavior and bad stuff happening. People losening up with the beverage then strange things happen.

At one game I attended a number of years ago at the Taylor Field in Regina – a Saskatchewan Rough Rider Game… the idiot behind me spilled his home concoction of Vodka and Orange juice behind me… the contents went squarely into my back pockets and down the waste band of my pants. It was a cold day with a wind blowing. To this day I hate the smell of Orange and alcohol mixes.

But there is something that must be said – the fans are excited. They get into problems when they get higher than they should be with the booze. But they are excited… very excited.

I wish that church was that excited. Maybe adding some stronger drink to the communion would help… J !?

Some churches I have been in lately have not been too exciting(note the word some…) In “some” it is less exciting than a funeral home where “solemness” rules.

Last Sunday we celebrated the Triumphal Entry that Jesus was part of as he rode into the last week of his life. Talk about excited people at the side of the road. They were some happy “moy son”…!!!

The only people that were not happy were the official religion and the religionaires (the guys that ran the show). They were so unhappy that they decided to snuff Jesus and his friends.

What I see is the reckless abandonment of the people that lined the streets. Maybe some of them had already been drinking as well.

Now coming back to the Rogers Centre in Toronto… it was a bad scene to say the least. Not pleasant for any one.

A Way Back…
My Grandpa Kirk was a baseball player. He loved and lived for Sports Days when he was alive. On a Sports Day the surrounding communities used to send their best players to try to whop the local teams.

I asked Grandpa if he ever played snooker. He said “Not anymore…” Then he explained. After the Sports Day Tournaments the guys would gather at the local Pool Hall for a round or two. The Pool Hall was also the place where you could get a nip or two… kind of a local drinking establishment that wasn’t licensed to do so.

Grandpa told me how one fight broke out and one man bit the other man’s nose off and swallowed it. Another had his ear eaten off as well.

Talk about excitement! Can you imagine these old guys mixed in to the Rogers Centre’s crowd. The new young ruff necks might sit down and shut up if the old Truax Gang walked in.

But even with all of the things that had happened… they are excited. And excited people together make stuff happen.

I don’t want the Beer and Booze stuff… but I sure would like to get a little more excited about my faith.

This is Easter Time 2009 for our Western World – for Christians in General… Shouldn’t we get a little more excited with what we know and believe?

I do…

So – even though there is some discipline in place now in Toronto… my hats go off to some goofy guys that were having fun… I think I need a little of what you guys had… but without the booze.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

Sources:
Licence violations cause Jays-Tigers game, two other Toronto dates to go dry
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jF56MXgBkwzKMlhW9alT-cPxzN2Q

No comments: