Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One small letter can make a huge difference when shared from your heart!

Joy Johnston, a friend of mine, penned this email that arrived today…

Katanga Province, Democratic Republic of Congo, September 2008. A pastor shared with me that he didn't understand why God had caused him to be born Congolese: "To be Congolese is to be born under a curse. This nation is nothing but destruction and corruption, poverty and death." But he held in his hand a stunning blue sapphire. He explained that in his home area, precious gems could be found just 6 feet underground. Hidden treasures! This one had been unearthed by his young daughter. He would sell it to provide food for his family and the orphans they care for.

I tried to encourage him that God has a hope and a future for his nation. I suggested that Congo, with it's tremendous people resources and rich natural resources, might also be a hidden treasure. That if some day “unearthed” and settled in God's hands, Congo could find itself not only blessed, but a source of great blessing to others. He so much wanted to hope!

I look forward to returning to Katanga in August, and again investing in the lives and ministries of some of Congo’s hidden treasures. These Christian leaders are working to bring a hope and a future to their nation – a hope and a future that will come only through Jesus’ power to transform and restore. Pray for Congo! Pray for me as I go!

Joy
P.S. Pray also for the August/September ministry in South Sudan and Uganda. These nations have their own "hidden treasures"!

* * * * * * * * *
Joy is an old friend of mine that is very young and vibrant in her ministry. We first met in Hong Kong a long, long time ago.

When my family and I lived in Hong Kong and worked with the Youth throughout the colony(at that time still under Britain’s guidance) – I met Joy.

Joy came as part of a team of young adults from Canada to assist us in any way possible to make our work easier and more profitable with the local folks we worked with.

Having the great group of young adults come to fit in wherever was a wonderful break from the daily grind of wondering if anything was happening. They were a pleasant diversion from the stuff of ordinary.

However some were a kind of special “royal pain” in that they could never really acclimatize to the new culture. Others fit in as if they were made for what was happening to them.

Joy was part of the second group – an easy fit and loved her stay.

When the team of young adults were leaving Hong Kong I hated to let them go home. It was always the same – every time a group left. They had become “my kids” and I loved them – but hated to let them go.

At times when a team came I was deeply stirred by what I had witnessed as they had worked with the folks in our community. More than anything I witnessed the potential that each one had within them. It was pure magic to see the ability of each as they reached out. Yet they were returning to Canada and a life of their ordinary – where they would fall back into the routine of their old lives.

You just never knew what was happening away back there in Canada. There as no email, no internet with FaceBook – only letters that took almost two weeks to get to some one back in Canada – and then if they decided to write back or remembered to write back – you might have kept in touch with them for at least a year.

Joy was among a group that was very busy with life.

I took a cue and wrote a letter to each team member before they left Hong Kong. With a thank you and some simple words that came from my heart I sealed the envelope and gave it to the young adults as they left us to return to Canada.

Generally my words included a thought for each one… and with it a prayer for them as they returned home. With it I guess I simply wanted them to not forget us.

Life whizzed by until 2008… about 25 years later… when I received an email from Joy Johnston, one of the young adults of so long ago. She is now a world traveller and speaker that travels to many countries around the globe. I know that she has gone to places I only dreamed of getting to in my life time. I could never make it to all those places – so Joy has taken up the challenge for me!

In our recent communication Joy shared with me about a letter that I had written to her after her trip and work with us in Hong Kong… and what it meant to her at that time.

I am amazed that she still had the copy of that old piece of paper… of over 26 years ago – or so.

The power of the idea of simply dropping someone a note, sharing your ideas in a letter… of opening your heart … is powerful.

The potential of one young adult like Joy is staggering in my mind. And you better believe it… I AM VERY PROUD OF JOY JOHNSTON!!!!

I love her emails and communications back to us now. She has me on her growing email list and contact list – and keeps me alongside of her work regularly.

BTW if you would like to get to know Joy Johnston you can email her at joy.johnst@gmail.com

If you write to her – tell her an old guy that she knew a long time ago bragged about her work. She would love to hear from you with a short note from you…..

One small letter can make a huge difference when shared from your heart!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

No comments: