Sunday, January 11, 2009

Perigee and Apogee of Life

I couldn’t feel any difference last evening. The report that I read stated that the Moon was the closest to the earth last night than it has been or will be – for a long time. I almost past that thought over until I read more and realized a great find of something that had passed me over for 64 years… the moon and my knowledge of it.

Did you know that the Moon is 1.2912 times brighter—about 30% in perigee compared to apogee? Now there is a mid winter, cold night warming up idea.

Did you know that no two full moons are the same? In other words you could snap a photo of the moon each time it was a “full moon” – no two photos would be exactly alike. The moon moves around a lot and thus the differences. Add to that – you move a lot too. Try it and see what I mean… now remember that there has to be no clouds too…

Most of us go for – “Did you see the Full Moon?” and that amazement is enough.

Having read the report about the Moon being so close and then looked at the full moon this morning early – it is really true – it is amazing!

For 64 years I have taken much for granted. It has been happening all around me and I simply move on – not thinking much about all the dynamic forces that are coming to impact my life. Much like the closeness of the Moon last evening – I slept through it. It happened and I moved on without knowing about it.

This past week my wife has been sorting and reordering old photographs. Together we have giggled at the images in front of us. There were our girls when they were young… then their growing up years… then their older years…next were the coming of grandkids… and all that was taking place during the last 13 years… with six arriving – one after another. It all was happening without me even knowing about it.

Now add the simple fact that people – like the Moon – are kind of in Perigee or Apogee in relationship to us – all the time. And I am to them.

Now there is a “thought stopper”. Relationships – wow!

So why write about it? Well right now I have a number of friends that are suffering big time from what we call “Cabin Fever” in Canada. We are shut in so long and so much with cold weather that we start acting weird and even miserable toward each other. Sometimes that leads to some real stressed times and difficult moments.

Reports came my way a longtime ago. In the winter season there are more Eskimos that are killed than any other time. In the very old days the author claimed this was true. In that they were confined to one small igloo for days, weeks and months at a time during long blizzards. In the igloo there was no TV, no radio, no diversions… only your family huddled together to keep in from the cold winter outside. (I am convinced that many 13 year olds were killed by their little sisters.)

Can you imagine – one family for a whole winter with nothing to do? And through a long blizzard you stay inside and away from the cold outside – or you will die.

For my readers in Florida and Texas today – that may be hard to comprehend. But for Canadians it is a reality.

Some simple thoughts – I think Mothers and Fathers designed Schools so that their kids could drive someone else crazy. Going back to school after a winter break is the Greatest Holiday ever!
Now back to Perigee and Apogee of my life – and yours. We need some change and some difference to stay alive. Too much of me cannot be good for anyone. Too much of you – to be fare – is also not good. We all need a little variety… or we might kill each other!

In a Senior’s Residence nearby I have found an interesting factor. People that sit in one spot and doing nothing are weird…. People that move around a lot and do different things – add activity and variety to their lives – are ALIVE! One man that I came to visit often – was hard to find by visitors and staff. He was never in his room or where he SHOULD BE. I asked him why. He told with a big grin.. “You want me to be like them?” then he pointed to an older person(that was younger than him). “No way baby… no way!”

Now put that into your own life and situation. Sitting still with nothingness will likely drive you NUTS. Doing something is good… it is out there and way from here!

Have you noticed in Florida that Canadians are always moving? They hardly ever sit still. Given an opportunity they will shop till they drop!

Now have you noticed something comical about this? They travel almost 1000 miles south to get outside and do things – constantly vibrating with doing!!!!

That isn’t a HOLIDAY – that is Cabin Fever gone crazy when it hits sunshine and warm weather.

So what do I do? Well right now I am composing a series and lists of “things to do when you have Cabin Fever…” It could also fall under “cheap dates for old people”. My wife and I are doing each of them to try it out. Lots of fun.

In our area it will be a good seller I am sure!

So today are you Apogee or Perigee?? Or are you just a miserable old so and so… that no one wants to talk to – or are you a Moon? The choice is yours.

~ Murray Lincoln ~

Source to consider…
http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/moon_ap_per.html
Perigee
Apogee

No comments: