Saturday, December 13, 2008

Secret Givers – Doing the Right Thing

A Glum Christmas?
Yes in our area there are some that have been considering a cut back on all that they do. Trips over Christmas have been cancelled. Gifts that were huge on the shopping lists are now scratched out and much smaller replacements are appearing… and in some case nothing is placed back on the list at all.

In a short 12 months things have radically changed. It is at Christmas that this change is easier to see. It is belt tightening like never before – at least in my adult memories. Things in Ontario are tough.

A couple that I know have lived well as employees of the auto maker industry. They are now considering the sale of their beautiful house prior to the possible collapse of this industry. It is not sure that a collapse will happen… but the maybe part leaves them cold when thinking about the future. Should they sell and move to a better area of Canada where the problems of money is less. Mind you if they sold and moved to Alberta or Saskatchewan where there are jobs waiting… they would leave family behind. And if they sold new house for whatever… the whatever would not pay for the down payment in another province that is doing well. BUT then who would buy their house… another almost unemployed auto industry worker?

They are one of many couples in our area that are feeling the pinch… or I should say the vice grip hold of less money.

You see with the strong hold of a good economy of the past years we have bought and built steadily, living good lives that would never end. At least we thought so.

Now new adventures are coming along that want more money. They are struggling big time with a shrinking supply of resources. People cannot borrow money as easily anymore. And people are not giving money freely the way that they did before. Churches are beginning to see the pinch – or rather the vice grip hold of less money.

Have you noticed that things are more expensive as well? In one of our favorite eating places the other evening I was jolted. My favorite dish just climbed $2.00 – from $9.95 to $11.95. Not a big deal I suppose when I was so hungry… but that is a 20% increase in one change. Now if everyone place like that is making that change quickly – it will not belong that the fixed income people eat out less – or look for the cheaper places to eat at.

A “Preachy Type” person that lets everyone have one of his platitudes… often, announced boldly that he doesn’t believe in God going into a recession. Even if Canada announced it has actually happened – He will not accept it. That is funny – almost – as he makes his “Preachy Points” from an ivory tower and safe place. This individual lives far away from the reality of Ontario now… across a Border… yet continues to raise support for himself.

I think there is a moral issue here that needs to be looked at. Preachy Types that have all the answers need to live where people hurt. They need to see people that are losing it all and wonder what will happen next.

In our church world we have some really bad examples of misuse and abuse of funds. “Brother Benny” is one of my less lovely examples. I saw the program on his excesses not long ago and it was down right embarrassing what he did with money people have given him. He is worth millions and lives like a King off hard earned money given to his organization – but relatively poor people who adore him.

Come to think about it… Brother Benny may not be worth as much as he was when then did the program. His real-estate values have tumbled radically. Worse yet his poor people are really poor now… and offerings for his wealthy ministry are not there any more.

I just checked out his web site at bennyhinn.org and he has promised me this deal…

“Second Coming Everlasting Love Medallion and Necklace
Price: $150.00 (USD)
This very specially-designed gold-plated medallion and necklace depicts the Second Coming of Jesus Christ with the verse, “Behold I come quickly,” and is from the brand new Benny...”

Benny, Benny, Benny… I know that Jesus is coming quickly… I have been taught that for a long time and even preached it… BUT why will you need $150 USD – if you believe it?

Benny my Bro… I am offering this minor change to your advertisement…

Second Coming Everlasting Love Medallion and Necklace
I WILL GIVE YOU $150.00 (USD) if you help some one now… I Guarantee you that I can afford it!


Why write this stuff today?
Well it seems to me with the new realities around me today that we need to be taking a whole new look at the way we spend what we have. Gift giving is cool and needed. But do we have to spend so much? Could we find better and deeper meaning as we simply care about each other?

I am committed to reach out with what I have – even if it is less than what I used to have. Maybe when I have less – I have more. I can give myself away.

We met a lady yesterday that lives alone in a nice apartment. She is waiting for her kids to arrive home for a short visit. They will be here for a very short time before they rush around the country to see their own kids. Within two weeks she will be all alone again – for another year. We have decided to have her over for a meal soon… and maybe that will be possible regularly.

I don’t have a lot… but I am wealthy beyond every imagination. I can see the need and now do something about it. I can give myself away… that should be worth something.

~ Murray Lincoln ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The whole Season is about Giving of One's Self--Isn't that what Jesus did for us.
When did it become so bogged down with money.The Joy has turned into exhaustion.
I'm with you--all for turning the clock back, slowing down, & searching for some Real Meaning to this Celebration we call Christmas.