Monday, December 22, 2008

Meet Christopher Terrance – the Christmas Miracle

Meet Christopher Terrance – the Christmas Miracle… my newest little buddy. He arrived on Wednesday night after many hours of struggling. It was a kind of nip and tuck for him in those first hours of his “break out” of his nine month residence. Actually he only stayed there for 37 weeks and was anxious to get going into life!

This post will describe the on going, real life work of my life as a Pastor. It describes for you my joys and some of my great disappointments that are in my life after many years of trying to just be there when I am needed. I am not sure I can tell it all – so here is a snapshot of real ministry.

It all began quite a few years ago when Debbie and Terry came into my life. Terry had been diagnosed with cancer. There was little hope for him. His fellow workers at his place of employment brought his name to our church for pray. Together we prayed that Terry would find help and even healing for his sickness.

There were good times and some bad times as we walked through this journey together. But finally five years ago on Boxing Day, a day after a Christmas celebration together, Terry died at home with most of his relatives standing beside the couch that cold afternoon. The scenes of that afternoon will never leave me. It was very hard.

Family had been an issue for Deb and Terry for along time. When they were dating in those early teen days of their life together – they came home to the worst news any family could receive. Terry was the oldest son and child of family of four. The police met with Terry and Deb to tell them that Terry’s dad, mom and little sister had been killed instantly in a head on crash. Terry was from that moment the primary care giver and provider for his siblings… and with Deb’s help they did it.

The bank that held the mortgage on the family home wasn’t so kind. Within a month the kids were evicted from their home. Merry Christmas kids – your parents are dead and you are out! God Bless you richly! This part of the story that I know lets me know that not everyone cares!!!!
Terry died that cold winter day and we had the funeral.

A lot of years have gone by. Terry and Deb’s son is Jason. Jason has lost his vision as a result of his severe diabetic condition. Jason and I have walked through huge issues of health and family together. Yesterday they almost lost Jason again… emergency surgery was done to drain his lungs.

Deb’s daughter is Jen. Jen sparkles and has so much potential. But Jen picks up losers and brings them into her life. She does it like some people pick up stray cats. Jen and I know only too well how much and how long we have worked together to get her on track. I cannot begin to tell you how much prayer and effort has gone into Jen’s life as the years have rolled by.

33 weeks ago Jen called me in great distress. She had found out she was pregnant and she had no idea what to do. The guy that had planted his seed was a jerk. He regularly threatened Jen and hurt her. She was frightened and had called the police a number of times. This stray was a drug addict and an all round mean person that demanded his own way all the time. The fact that he had kind of “God Fearing” – sometimes church attending parents made little difference – he was a jerk.

For weeks and months prior Deb and myself tried to warn Jen… but the attraction was just too great… or the force of the stray too great… Now she was pregnant.

Through the sobbing on the telephone she told me she was planning to get rid of this horrible remembrance of the relationship with this jerk. She wanted nothing to do with him ever again… and the thing inside of her was only a terrible reminder of what had happened.

I took a deep breath and explained how special this brand new little person inside her was. I talked about how he was going to be a “some one special”… and what this baby might accomplish in days and years to come. It was not a long conversation on the phone that day… I left Jen and had to get on with some other crisis that had come my way.

A day later Jen called and thanked me. She had been to have the Ultra-Sound done. She had seen the tiny guy inside her and was not going to lose him. She was going to have this baby all by herself.

37 weeks later we sat in the room holding a small but mighty miracle… Christopher Terrance Dagg… and all of his six, beautiful pounds smiled up at me as I held him close.

As I held him, his mom looked at me in tears and said, “Thank you for helping me make the right decision to not get rid of him. Thank you Pastor Murray… Thank you.”

I am old and experienced in many things. I could be considered hard at times as well. But yesterday as I held Christopher Terrance… I gulped and swallowed hard. The old softy in me came alive again… and this one is almost like one of mine.

Now Deb is like a daughter to me… Jen is like a granddaughter… and Christopher Terrance is – ouch like a Great Grandson… oh boy! The extended family will mean much to this little guy over the years to come.

Sadly – his own real daddy is in jail now. He has no idea that he has a “Christopher Terrance” as a son and could care less.

At the end of June 2008 I ceased being the Pastor of the Church. I had talked to Jen not long before. I thought then that the next Minister will pick up the threads… but that hasn’t been possible yet… so guess what… Jen still has a Minister… and in days to come… maybe when it is warmer and everything is somewhat more settled down… we will dedicate a small, beautiful, baby boy in Grandma’s back yard.

Thank you God for Christopher Terrance Dagg. He is something special – and you know it!

~ Murray Lincoln ~



No comments: