Friday, September 18, 2009

Letter to the Serbas after Nicholas Crowdis received the 10 years sentence for the Manslaughter conviction of Michael Serba

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Serba, Parents of Michael Serba;

I am writing today to express my indignation and sorrow with the results of the Trial of your son’s murderer. The reports that I read from the Newspapers was disturbing to say the least.

With Nicholas Crowdis receiving the 10 years sentence for the Manslaughter conviction I know that it must be very hard to take in.

The newspaper’s report states that he will serve less than 4 years for the conviction and the sentence of 10 years – in that he has already been in jail for 3 years – which counts for actually 6 years.

Your statement that I quote from the one Newspaper said, “The justice system simply just didn't work -- Nicholas Crowdis simply got away with murder...”

I am not sure of how the court case actually proceeded. But I know that it must be very frustrating.

I am writing to tell you that there is help within the community in days to come.

I am involved with the Correctional Service Canada – CSC – as a Citizens Advisory Committee member (– CAC). In this role I witness what CSC does in its many different ways of dealing with men like Mr. Crowdis as he comes inside their system now.

CSC has a new system in place that they stand very positively with now. It is a “Victims Service” where they take into account what the Victim of Crime is going through and make sure that there is follow up.

I have published the Links to the CSC sites that might be a help to you. You will need to Register with CSC to have your voice heard.

You are a Victim of Crime without a doubt.

In the “old days”, prior to 2007 and the establishing of the Victims Service at CSC, most Victims of Crime received very little help – actually none. The horror they faced with the loss of their child or loved one through murder was always there. After the media finished reporting the story, the court case wrapped up and everyone went home – the nightmare just began for the parents like you.

Each anniversary date, each birthday celebration that should take place for Michael will be something you will be living with – forever.

In the old days no one seemed to care… or even remember. Today it is different. A host of people do care and will be there to help you.

The situation that Nicholas Crowdis faces is not over either.

The courts have had to deal with the issues at hand – sometimes with their hands tied. I know too that you will not be the only frustrated people in this case.

Now CSC will begin to work with Crowdis. He will be assessed first and then sent to one of the prisons to begin his incarceration. Along the way he will be watched in all that he does.

I noticed in the sentence handed out to Crowdis that it was suggested that he may get out earlier than 4 years. That is not necessarily the case. He has to appear before a Parole Board which will consider many factors before he is released.

You will have input into the Parole Board hearing – each and every time that he applies or asks for release. And you will be given help by CSC in a number of ways. The Victim Service folk with help you to know what is next.

Then there is the 10 years of LTO after he is released that will be crucial as well. It is far from over in 4 years from now when and if Crowdis is released.

I am sending a copy of it also to my MP, Dean Del Mastro. I think he is listening as well and from his position in our community of Canada he will also take note of what has happened.

I hope you find some Peace in these days to come. I know it is very difficult. I have been through this with folk have lost their child through the horrific acts that others committed. They live in our community as well.

I am posting this letter to you today on my Blog. Many other people read this Blog from time to time. It is my hope that others will read and hear what is happening to you – and respond as well.

Be assured that we do understand.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

Source:
CSC Help
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/victims-victimes/index-eng.shtml
and
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/victims-victimes/

Articles
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/canada/2009/09/18/10971151-sun.html
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/697539
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/693436

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First and foremost, may God Bless Mike Serba and may his family receive all of the blessings in the World.

This is a devastating circumstance, and my heart goes out to the victims family, as anyone's heart would. My question is, can Nicholas Crowdis ever be fully rehabilitated. Has he sought help? Or followed the necessary measures to improve his life? I understand the discomfort of letting him roam free, but, has he learned his lesson? Is he still on drugs? Has he exhibited any recent violent occurrences? I agree with the concern of his mental health and his potential to be aggressive, but, is he still? I believe that people can do horrible things and learn from them, as long as they have taken the required steps and maintained it.