Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to school day!

Back to school day! Wow another year is under way. Can you believe it? Where did the summer go?

Although we are in the senior’s category – the golden years – we are facing a back to school day as well. My mom at 88 years is off and going again… today she heads back to the Activity Haven which is located in a very old school built in 1889 – 1907 – the one time Queen Alexandra School.
It is with mixed emotions that I let her go today. With over a two month battle with more deteriorating bones and major pain she is still trying to get out on her own. Should I let my mother go for the full day? Will she be alright? Should I write note to let her “teachers” know about her failing condition and to immediately give me a call if she needs to come home?

I am like my daughters were with their kids when they first set out for school. Sheesh! I am like I was when my girls headed out to school for that first day as well. A silly nervous parent that can’t let go…

This new age I have entered in a profound way is called the “Sandwich Generation”. I am the piece of meat inside of the sandwich – I am one of the sandwiches in the lunch pail – all squished in there… I am sandwiched between my children & their kids – and the care of my own mother in her aging condition.

My kids are not the problem… they just keep moving on… and their own kids just move that much faster. Yet now I am almost sedentary in my own life because of the need to provide care for an aging parent.

This past long weekend was great. Alida and I attended the Kinmount Fair which was simply amazing. We were alone in the car as we drove there and back each day for one hour and a half – three hours a day. It was like being on a holiday – just the two of us. Huh!? – almost romantic!

For two years and a half Alida always rides in the back seat – so that Mom can get in and out easier. I missed my wife sitting beside me.

Complaining – Nope – just explaining what it is like to be a Sandwich Person.

Now I think… what will happen to me or my wife when the age progresses faster for us as well? Where will we live – and who will we live with? Will this condition of aging produce more pressure for my own kids? What of the failing health issues and what of the assistance that I might need in days to come? Who will give it?

Early death looks good sometimes… yet I do not want to die! I am intending to live forever – didn’t you know that?!? You better believe it!

I am at home now waiting for a call from the Principal… is Mom okay?

What a stressful day… Oh boy!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
http://www.thesandwichgeneration.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_generation

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Good for Marion! Way to Go "Mom"!!!
And Good on you, Murray--you're a Great Son.

I'm waiting by the phone for a Day Care Wrkr to call about a 12 month old!!!

It can be Tough being this age!