Monday, September 14, 2009

Happy Belated Grandparents Day

Okay! Okay! Stop the Press! Hold everything… I said STOP!

Yesterday was Grandparent’s Day! What the heck happened here? Do people not read the Newspaper? You had your warning in advance. Since 1978 – when Jimmy Carter proclaimed that each Sunday after labor Day would be the National Grandparents Day – you should have know!

I didn't get a Card or nothing!

On the Web Site that I found it shows that they have had a council that deals with all things about the National Grandparents Day since 1997… or so….

I know what happened… someone forgot. It happens a lot to us old guys and gals… the ‘forgetter’ works better than the “Rememberer”… and if your kids are close to you and see you often… they catch it too – then forget to remember that it was National Grandparents Day.

People are in a big flap about H1N1 – or that Swine Flu virus that is floating around…. That is DUMB. The “Forgetter Virus” is far more persistent… and far more dangerous. Someone else called it the “Oldtimers Virus” (OV).

Look at this way…
The old fella drops of his bride of 56 years at the hairdresser down the street… then forgets to pick her up.

Another old geezer goes to the Mall to buy something from his list – and then can’t find the darn car in the gigantic parking lot. As his friends see him listlessly walking among strange cars with arm in the air- rapidly pushing his thumb button on his car beeper… they think something is wrong.

There is something very weird about Grandpa playing the “Giraffe Game” in the Mall parking lot. His teenager grandson just thinks he is “weirding out” again… when he really is only looking for his car.

The third old duffer is odd too. When the young buck at the Supermarket found him wandering down the long aisles with no cart… slowly looking at the shelves… and not picking anything up… the clerk stopped to ask the old fella if he needed help…

His answer was funny… “Nope, just walking up and down the aisle to see if I can remember what she told me to get. I don’t want to call and ask her what it was… She will be on my case again about forgetting everything. She is not going to get that satisfaction this time!”

I know that I am a Grandparent… and that the “Oldtimers Virus”(OV) gets to me some days too.

I can go into one room to fetch something that will not work on the thing I am trying to fix. Some how the hedge trimmers won’t loosen the tight bolt. But you have no idea how many things I have found – that I was sure someone borrowed or were lost on the last job I was doing. The other day I found my favorite pliers behind the big box… I had been sure that the Grandkids had taken them into the Backyard… nope the “OV” was acting up again!

One great thing of going out for coffee with my buddies my age… They almost all buy the coffee for me… because they have a bad attack of OV. “No Murray… it’s my turn to pay… you got it last time…”

“Okay – but I really didn’t pay… you did.”

“No way…” he says… “It is my turn to buy…”

Thanks buddy…

The really funny thing is that he can’t remember that we were out for coffee just last week – four days ago.

So – just in case you haven’t had someone tell you… or you can’t remember… and “OV” has set in… Happy Belated Grandparents Day!

What’d you mean you can’t remember what that is about – read the second paragraph above!!!

Hey – want go for coffee soon? Give me a call…

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

Source:
http://www.grandparents-day.com/

No comments: