Monday, May 25, 2009

Stretched

I am unsure who is more stretched or stressed – me or my chicken – “Thunder”.

Yesterday was his break out of jail. He was loose and working toward becoming a “free range” chicken… running the yard from 11 AM until 6:00 PM.

His reaction was almost predictable in that he or she is a “chicken”. In other words it is afraid of almost everything that is alive and moves. Talk about a ‘big chicken’.

While “Thunder”(named by my granddaughter Emma) was in the backyard and in the open, a black bird swooped over the area. Thunder was sent running for his life because he or she didn’t know what had just swooped over its head.

Thunder has found a corner area under a bush that must feel like a safe place. For nearly seven hours he pecked his way under the bush – loving every area of that seclusion and freedom.
As I watched the drama of the chicken in the backyard alone a huge Bumble Bee flew in to look over the tree and possible resting places under the bush. When it buzzed in and the ‘Big Chicken’ came running out from under the bush cover. Without ever having witnessed the danger of the Bumble Bee before he or she knew that it was not a good idea to mess with this black and yellow guy.

Thunder was stretched by his or her new home outside. Not knowing what to do with its surroundings that were unfamiliar. It was scared of everything. Ducking from shadows and running from bugs… flat out as hard as the legs would propel it.

Man have I learned a few lessons from this bird.

He is so much like a human being. No wonder we call some humans “chickens” in English.

We don’t do change easily do we?

As I reflect back on this past year I can definitely see the “Thunder” in me – that is the “chicken” in me. Running from the shadows of “not knowing” all that might happen to me and the “dark places of uncertainty”. Ducking from the fear of “what if”.

Oh this chicken has taught me lots.

When he or she is picked up – the complaints are loud and long. Talk about squawking! WOW! If someone is listening to what is said by this bird and could understand they would hear “MURDER! HELP SAVE ME!”

It simply doesn’t like change of any kind.

Under the big tree in our back yard is a pile of short cedar logs from an old split rail fence. One top of the rail yesterday was a fuzzy caterpillar.

You got to know a chicken like Thunder… this meant that the fuzzy caterpillar needed to be pecked at…over and over again. Well fuzzy caterpillars are filled with an odd green ooze that drips out slowly when it is pecked over and over again.

Thunder got a beak full of nasty tasting stuff that he or she then tried to wipe away the ‘foul’ taste. The side to side action of its beak rubbing on the walkway was funny.

Stupid bird bit something it should not have.

Oh boy is that like a human being or what. Sticking our nose into something that is not our business is all too common. Or worse yet looking into some thing that is simply not good for us is always possible.

But as chickens go – Thunder is amazing in decoration and colouring. The small fringe of brown neck feathers mixed with black is pretty fancy for a chicken… but the bright blue shimmer on the back that shine in the sun are startling.

This bird must be related to a Peacock!

I haven’t seen any signs of vanity yet – but give it time. His people counter parts sure have that one wrapped up with their strutting around like Peacocks.

I sat on the porch of our house yesterday enjoying the sun, the clear blue sky and the sound of a dove cooing. Suddenly I was a million miles from the old “Chicken Experience”, run and hide, duck and dive, scratching around for nothing and squawking when things change.

I made a commitment to my self yesterday – I don’t want to be a chicken anymore in anything that I do. I am okay being me.

How are you doing?

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thanks Murray--This is beautiful.
I hide under "bushes" --just like Thunder.
The Scripture that impacted me yesterday is from Psalm 139: 14-
"I praise you because I am fearfully & wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well".
Let's All of us keep that in our hearts.