Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pension Sharing in Canada - too Funny!

My wife doubled over laughing after she opened the mail. I didn’t know what to think. What in the world…?

She was holding two Government of Canada envelopes we had opened. One had my name on it and the other had hers. This dull brown envelop either means we have received further requests from the Tax People for more contributions or something of great importance was about to happen.

Away back in February 2009 we had gone to the Government of Canada Federal Offices in our city to arrange for our pensions. (If you have been reading this Blog for some time now – you will know that retirement has come for me… and my wife… it has been fun to say the least!)

Together we had decided to sign up for the “pension sharing” program to help with Income Tax later.

Well the two brown envelops had the good news… we now share.

Not long ago the Government had notified Alida that because of her faithful work of looking after her two daughters, being a stay at home mom, and supporting her husband so well – her CPP pension was to be $18.22 per month for the rest of her life. Whoopiee! That is about 9 Coffees and Muffins at McDonalds each month.

Well the first brown envelop with her name on it informed her that she would no longer be getting $18.22 a month – but rather $9.46 – and I get the rest at $8.46.

The second brown envelop told me that I would not be getting the full CPP at $773.41 – but rather $401.55. I lost on this one… Alida now gets $371.86 on MY MONEY.

Now I get her $8.46 and she gets MY $371.86. Bad deal!

But the funny thing is that they are “Direct Depositing” all the money into the SAME ACCOUNT.
The two amounts together will pay for one week’s expenses. Wahoo! Yippee! I am doing cart wheels – after paying into this huge Canadian Pension Fund for ALL MY LIFE – I will be able to live for One Week a month. Whoopie doo…!

Alida was rolling in peals of laughter. Just too darn funny to do anything else.

My two son-in-laws had no idea how much fun this would be… when they stated in front of witnesses – “I do and I will”… we both are coming to live with them soon. One Old Person in one home… and The Other Old Person in the other.

However the dilemma is that Grandma is preferable over Grandpa in that she is a better house keeper. But then Grandpa is a ball to be with – a little unruly and causes kids to get a wee bit worked up… so he could be a problem at times… and his stories shouldn’t be told in public and to children.

Now the plan is… if Alida and I meet at McDonalds each week – somewhere between where our kids live we can share coffee and the muffin – once a month.

Am I worried? Nope. One son-in-law is a Funeral Director – so that end is covered. The other is an electrician and he loves baseball and hockey – so that end is covered too.

I think I will be carving some more things in my garage… for quite a few days in the month if Alida and I are to stay living together for the remainder of three weeks each month.

And this is a prediction… my two son-in-laws will become the greatest sales people in the world – finding me customers for my wood carvings. And if they don’t… well grandpa is moving in soon.

Just too darn funny… no wonder Alida was rolling in peals of laughter.

Wahoooooo!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/isp/pub/factsheets/sharing.shtml

1 comment:

B & W vL. said...

You two are having Way too much Fun in your Retirement!

Almost as much fun as We are!!

Way to Go!!!