Friday, May 22, 2009

Norm is amazing!

Norm is amazing! He cares for the people that he works with. The compassion shows as he led us through the hallways of the Regional Treatment Center – which is part of the very old Kingston Penitentiary.

Alida and I were walking with Norm, a correctional officer with CSC, through some of the corridors of the very large prison in Canada. We were meeting the people that care for some of the prisoners that suffer from mental illness of all different kinds. And because of their crimes, which were often related to their mental illness, they are now in prison.

If I could actually describe for you what I have seen, it may be hard for you to cope with the images, the sadness at times, and the needs that were before us mixed with happiness as well. But I really am not allowed to tell you any more than this much – sorry.

On this visit we met some of the staff, simply nodding to others and doing the digestion of my first personal feelings of what I am witnessing – I am very impressed – very, very impressed first with the staff.

Next I was impressed with the offenders that we have met. Polite and kind are two words that make sense. Some men are very old and some are very young. Many have very great needs.

One man was very happy to show us his room and thanked us for coming. What a delight to see his efforts to keep his room clean and decorated.

WHY are you doing this Lincoln?
I am part of a group of people that care very much for their fellow human beings. I am a CAC member that volunteers time to listen, watch, and share words if needs be.

The CAC is short for Citizen’s Advisory Committee – which is mandated by the Federal Correctional Services Canada to be the eyes and ears of the Public of Canada looking in on the way that CSC looks after its offenders.

In this case they have asked me to look to the needs of the men that suffer from mental illness.

But as much as I am looking at what they do – they are looking at me too. No doubt they need to look over this new “do gooder” and check him(and her) out for their spots and weird characteristics.

For the past ten years I have been a CAC member working in the local Peterborough Parole Office with some amazing staff and also the great ex-offenders. This volunteer work continues with each monthly meeting and the contacts during the week.

Now it may expand further as we work towards the further care of offenders in prison and a better understanding of ex-offenders coming from prison.

I have heard different stats lately as I have made myself more aware of the needs the Correctional Service Canada is facing.

Approximately 70% of the people that enter the Prison system in Canada are dealing with some level of mental health issues. No they are not all crazy!

But they do face depression, chemical imbalances and a variety of other very serious needs – just like the local people of any congregation I have ever had the privilege to serve as their Pastor.

More specifically… Richard J. Brennan from the Toronto Star wrote…
OTTAWA – Up to 20 per cent of federal inmates suffer from "significant" mental illness and the problem is most pronounced among female prisoners, Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan says.

And Van Loan traces the problem back to the 1970s, when provincial psychiatric hospitals across Canada were closed.

"It appears to be in the range of 15 to 20 per cent that have ... fairly significant mental health issues and the problems tend to be more prevalent among the female population," the minister told reporters this week.

According to Correctional Service Canada, 12 per cent of men and 21 per cent of women are now identified as having a mental health disorder when they enter the penal system.

Offenders and ex-offenders are no different than the ordinary person sitting in church – except maybe that they were caught and convicted for crimes committed.

(On the side – I know that there are congregants that haven’t been caught yet… but just wait….)
The needs that I have witnessed this week may well have been created by a community need where there has been a lack of mental services for the desperate families living there.

The needs may well have been created by ignorance as to where to go to get help – or simply the embarrassment factor and the deep shame that family member feel when their son or daughter lose it.

I am definitely not capable to have all the answers at this point. But I can testify to the fact that I am receiving a huge education through the circumstances presented around me.

I have prayed a prayer for a long time that has brought me often to very needy situations. Even after retiring I continued to pray this prayer… “God give me people that no body else can help…” that has been so much a part of what I have done for 35 years.

Fare warning… don’t pray it if you don’t want to act on it!
As this Blog is often my reflection of where I am in “my world” – you can understand better – I am deeply reflecting today… very deeply.

My questions…
“How can I help Norm and his fellow staffers do their tasks at hand – and not get in their way?”

“How can I help these men that will be released some day – as they will come out… to live on my street?”

“Do I care enough to give some time to care for a Prison System that is trying hard to do a good job?”

“Can I again ‘Observe, Liaise, and Advise’ in this situation and remain inspired as I get more involved?”

“Can I do this without acting like some “whacko religious person” – while I still maintain my own spiritual walk?”

“Can I find others that will help me take on this tremendous task?” I have a compassionate wife – but I need more… far more.

“Can I fully get my head around the task at hand?” This one is bigger than almost anything I have done before….

Oh boy… I gotta run… more meetings today. More opportunity to care… I had to pinch myself today… am I still alive… this is almost like Heaven… Oh boy!!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
http://mentalhealthfamilyguide.ca/news.php?id=70

No comments: