Friday, November 21, 2008

Tooting My Own Horn and Thankful

As I sat in our CAC meeting yesterday the usual interaction took place between the dynamic leaders from our community. These folk assemble about once a month to listen to and encourage the staff at the Parole Office. They are a great mix of leadership that care about our community. They are unknown for what they do. I was happy to be with them again.

The CAC is a government acronym for Citizens Advisory Committee. In each Parole Office and each Federal Prison there is a CAC established to make sure that “the public” (non government) are close by to view what happens, to make sure that staff, victims of crime and ex-offenders are all treated fairly. The Federal Government recognizes the need for monitoring of each of its facilities. Correctional Services Canada is perhaps the most open of all the Federal Government departments.

I serve as the chair of the CAC. That came about 10 years ago when one man had returned from prison and had no place to go in the community. Four of us met to discuss the problem and one half hour later we had formed the first CAC in Peterborough – and I was chairman.

One of the CAC members turned to me and said, “Congratulations Murray on your award.” Then another CAC member responded, “Yah, I read about you, Congratulations!” Others affirmed that and I responded in a rather unusual way… “Sorry… What are you talking about?” They countered, “It was in the Newspaper…” Puzzled… I just moved on, kind of pushing it aside. I am sure that they thought my reaction was a bit weird and I was pushing their congratulations aside.

When I arrived home from the meeting and email was waiting for me from my friend Terry. In it was another “Congratulations”. So I called him as my trusted advisor and asked what in the world he was talking about. His response was the same… “It was in the Newspaper! Didn’t you read it? Marion cut out the article so you would have an extra.”

I had read the newspaper but missed it.

There on Page 13, from top to bottom was the write up. Apparently people had nominated others in our community for the “Philanthropy Awards” highlighting what people have done in the community in their volunteer work.

In a Yellow highlighted section under the title “And the Winners are…” was my name… here is the text…
And the Winners are ...
Group Contributor
Survivors Abreast - On top of organizing yet another phenomenally successful Dragonboat Festival, these ladies had-the hospital's breast-assessment centre-named for them and won the bid to host the 2010 International Participatory Dragon Boat Festival. Way to go, ladies!

Individual Contributor
Rev. Murray Lincoln -
He not. only supports the clients of Peterborough Community Chaplaincy, Rev. Lincoln volunteers in the carpenter's shop at Lang Pioneer Village and gives his time to build community spirit at Northview Pentecostal Church and beyond. He is also the volunteer chaplain at the hospital and sits on the elder abuse prevention committee.

Honorable Mention - Tied
Kim Naish ., This 'church lady' volunteers tirelessly at St. John's Anglican Church and for social justice causes .. Jean Koning deserves recognition for her work with members of the Aboriginal community.

Business and Personal Contributors
Betsy Reeburn
- "Betsy has been wonderful support to the community. Her latest efforts with the PHRC Foundation 2nd Annual Golf Tournament; raised over $63,000. Betsy is also involved with the Peterborough Downtown Rotary Club and Camp Kawartha.


WOW!
I was stunned! I had absolutely no idea that this was coming or that someone(s) had put my name in a file somewhere. A flood of Gratefulness swept over me… but who do you thank for something like this? A great appreciation filled my heart and mind for someone that believed in me… but who was it? Then the thoughts started coming from all the areas that are involved in my life. Some were listed in the award’s statements – some are not.

Any award that I receive is only possible because I work alongside of some amazing people that totally inspire me… and need to inspire me because there have been many times that I would like to quit. Sometimes volunteering is the hardest thing that I have every done.

I know that I may sound like I am tooting my own horn here… but hey it is MY BLOG and I will because … just because I need to thank all the great people that allow unknown people like me to make a little bit of difference in our small world.

So here is my “Thankful List”…
I am Thankful to Dan Haley, the Peterborough Community Chaplain, that walked into my office one day and slumped down on the chair. He was discouraged and had no one to talk to. A local businessman had sexually molested his son destroying Dan and Sharon’s family life, and church life. From that very first meeting grew some unusual things that would happen over 10 years.

The Peterborough Community Chaplaincy and the New Beginnings House would come alive – to become the best example of what a group of community volunteers can do anywhere… in Canada and in North America and maybe even the WORLD. That is where all the requests come from to find out what “we” do! PCC has accomplished the very first compassionate paroles to name one area – where men, with cancer, from inside of the Federal Prisons, are released to die in peace with us.

I am Thankful for Lori and the staff at Lang Pioneer Village. Through a chance meeting a few years ago, mixed with my interest in wood and old things, I volunteer at that wonderful place of 1856 in rural Ontario. I spin story after story with especially the children of about grade three or grade four. Their eyes sparkle as they discover with me what all these old things do. I suspect that I will be back again during the school tours at the Village next May and June 2009.

I am Thankful to Father Joe at the Peterborough Regional Health Centre and the various volunteer coordinators that I serve under over these years. The privilege to be called on when needed is not one that I take lightly. More times that I can count I have stood beside beds of very ill and often dieing people to cry with them and simply be there as the “On Call Chaplain” that terrible night. I gulp down a lump in my throat that comes when I think of the families that have lost their child that late night, or just found out their 22 year old son has drowned. I remember the grandpa that was laying there breathing his last few moments and smiling at his grandkids holding their hands as they said their “Goodbyes”… he was my age… I remember all of them…

I am Thankful to Leslie, Helen, Gloria, Wendy and now Lisa that encouraged me on and on to go further with the prevention of abuse of older adults. I started by listening to many committees and ended by choosing custom made volunteer jobs with them doing the Web Page and also speaking regularly for the group. Hey you gals all made it possible for some of us to get involve as APOAN and VON volunteers.

I am Thankful for Sheri at Riverview Manor and Kathy at Fairhaven that allowed a crazy idea to do creative things with the “men only”. Then Sherwood Martin that joined me to work with these men doing wood work projects. Sherwood kept going when I couldn’t go anymore… then he had to pull back a bit too…. But guess what the programs that we did are the best in the country! And the men that we worked with became some of my closest friends. Another gulp here… I attended many of their funerals.

I am Thankful for Pat that just spoke with me last week… I may be doing something with her group… and Thankful for Ian that asked me if I could come and do some carving with some of the adults at his work place… they are somewhat handicapped…

And Thankful for the Aboriginal Leaders in Desronto/Napanee area of Ontario area that need help now… and the Aboriginal Leaders in Saskatchewan that have called for help too…

There are a few more now… but I am Thankful… just plain Thankful for you and what you mean to me…

Finally… I am more than Thankful today for a GREAT CHURCH called Northview… that stood with me through thick and thin. Without your belief in the community and reaching out we, together, could have done nothing.

Hey – sure – I am tooting my own horn – you better believe it and I AM THANKFUL!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
PS – Why write about it? Well I want my grandkids to remember the old “----“ and I know how hard it is to write a eulogy when the old “----“ dies… too funny!- BUT I am THANKFUL!

No comments: