Thursday, November 6, 2008

Through it all… the pain and relief

Yesterday, shortly after beginning my day I saw the horrific crash on the TV News. A semi trailer truck had lost its loaded trailer while negotiating a exit ramp from one super highway to another. The roadway is part of the Highway #427. It is high above the major roadway entitled the QEW and the start of the Gardiner Parkway heading into Toronto.
As the truck headed south flowing over the ramp, his loaded truck trailer disengaged from the Cab and fell on to cars traveling east bound. The image of the exact moment flew through my mind over and over again yesterday as more news came in.

One man died in the crash and his daughter sitting beside him was hurt terribly as the cooper tubing load hit their car directly. They went from average speed of 100 Kms per hour(60 miles per hour) to a complete stop in an instant as the load fell on them.

In a split second my mind took me back to Oakville where my friend John Miller had a similar experience. John just retired from the Ford Motor Factory and had the future ahead of him for his wife Joyce and himself. The first call came from Joyce to let us know that John was in the hospital and it was not known if he would live or not. He had been in a terrible and freak accident.

In his early retirement John had taken an easy job with a local Ford Dealership to do odd jobs with them. It was easy work and he loved it.

On this particular day he was moving vehicles from one lot to another by driving one car at a time. As he approached a railway crossing the road rose to cross over the train tracks… then descended on the other side of the tracks. On his approach a semi trailer truck was coming toward him on the other side of the track. The truck was just coming over the track mound when the trailer came loose of the Cab. The trailer was airborne on its front end. As it came down it landed on John’s approaching vehicle squarely on the driver’s side and in John’s lap – crushing his lower body.

Surgery followed over and over again as they tried their best to stabilize him. The massive internal injuries mixed with rapidly growing infection nearly took his life many times. Then he caught a severe infection from nasty “bugs” in the hospital.

Today John is walking slowly and is still recovering from the accident. He still lives in Oakville with Joyce where they are enjoying what this new mode of retirement has to offer.

Yesterday…
The man that died in the horrific accident yesterday was Harry Taylor, a 53 year old from Oakville as well. He worked in the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto and was to have received a special award last evening at an important new event at the Hospital.

I have entered the same new role of early retirement that my friend John did. I have driven over the same railway crossing as John did many, many times… and had semi trailers coming at me as well.

Not long ago I also drove under that same #427 Highway exit ramp with many trucks flying overhead. Over the years as we lived in Oakville – I cannot tell you how many times I drove that same road that Harry Taylor died on…having been in that exact same spot many, many times.

For the fact that I need not travel these same roads any longer on a regular basis – I am so grateful.

But today I am thinking of these dear families that are suffering so much from the tragedy. They will need so much help. As the news stops reporting this accident within the 24 hours of the crash, their lives have been altered in ways that none of us will ever understand.

My heart goes out to them today and I pray for that Family. I also pray for the 28 year old Truck Driver that was the driving the rig when it lost its load. His life will never be the same again. Whatever comes out of this – the blame game will fall squarely on his shoulders. He and his company will be facing years of legal battles over this one – because some one must be at fault!

Maybe not… trucks fail and equipment breaks. In my friend John’s case that is what happened… and they received very little out of the end battle.

Today…
I will complete my breakfast and then head into my home office for some heavy work. Following that I need to meet a potential client and will do that by riding my bicycle downtown to meet him.

I cannot avoid any or all accidents by staying at home all the time. But I can give thanks that I no longer have to travel on these busy roads as a daily grind – and that I survived it all. And I will pray for those that do have to do this daily!!!

I am reminded again that there is much to be thankful for…so very, very much.

~ Murray Lincoln ~

Sources:
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/530874
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/531604

No comments: