Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rickrolling and Internet Meme

“Rickrolling?” It just happened to me! Go figure. It has happened before on the Internet but I didn’t know what it was all about. I figured someone had just made a mistake.

I have been “Rickrolled” – in fact I have been rickrolled so many times over the years that it is almost embarrassing. So have you.

MSN posted these words today… MSN Quote…
Remember the '80s hit that went "Never Gonna Give You Up / Never gonna let you go / Never gonna run around and desert you"? No? Watch this. Today, this song by Rick Astley is enjoying a resurgence as the butt of an Internet joke.

What's the joke, exactly? Victims think they're clicking on an enticing and perfectly harmless link ("
Mmmmm, no-fat doughnuts" or "Cute frolicking puppies!") only to be met with the hip-swaying song stylings of Astley.Yes, you were just "rickrolled."
End Quote from MSN…

I went to this site to find information that another Minister Friend sent me about “Purity Rings” that were discussed on the MTV Awards. When I clicked on the Link he offered – I came to the information about Rickrolling. Go figure. With his email post to me he has let me experience both Rickrolling and Internet Meme.

Confusing? Naw… here is more to help you.

If you missed trying the “Mmmmm, no-fat doughnuts” – try http://search.live.com/video/results.aspx?q=Rick+Astley+Never+Gonna+Give+You+Up&docid=2661298929835&FORM=MSNHAL If you tried that just now you have experienced an “Internet Meme”.

How does it happen – or how can you do it to some one else?
First - if you place a Line in an email you are sending to your friend… type in “My Dog Rolls Over”. Then Highlight it by running your cursor/mouse pointer over the words…. Then after it is highlighted… click the “Insert Hyperlink” in your command line above… copying in the Link above… giving you this result…. “My Dog Rolls Over”

If you try this on your friend – you will have Rickrolled them.

Wikipedia explains Rickrolling….
Rickrolling is an Internet meme involving the music video for the 1987 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up". The meme is a bait and switch: a person provides a Web link they claim is relevant to the topic at hand, but the link actually takes the user to the Astley video. The URL can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true source of the link without clicking (and thus satisfying their curiosity). When a person clicks on the link given and is led to the web page he/she is said to have been "Rickrolled". By extension, it can also mean playing the song loudly in public in order to be disruptive.

And believe it or not you have also experienced “Internet Meme” if you have clicked on the links that are at the bottom of these Blogs that I write – my “Sources” or “Resources”

So in a short period of time you have come to realize that people play cruel jokes on each other.

I think the first time that it happened to me was at about 17 years old – when I experienced my first “Blind Date”. My friend was wishing to take a girl out on a date. She wouldn’t go except if her friend was able to go along too. So he recruited me to take up the role of dating her friend.

Oh my… I won’t tell all the story. It was embarrassing to say the least. There was absolutely nothing to talk about. Nothing in common so nothing was said. The “blind date” that sat beside me listened with me to my friend and his new “girl friend”(her friend) talk, etc..etc.

The only other Blind Date that I tried was when I met Alida, 46 years ago… and that one wasn’t that bad.

Rickrolling and Internet Meme – or a form of it first happened to Eve and Adam. Convinced by the serpent that… “the fruit was okay – actually really good for you – God is playing a cruel joke on you… try it – you’ll love it!” She did and so did her man Adam. The rest is history.

Anytime someone portrays some thing as being something it is not they have Rickrolled someone – somewhere. And sadly – it is not always a joke.

A brilliant young man that I know was Rickrolled in his life. He has a wonderful wife and two kids. Somehow he met another gal in the community. She has some kids of her own. Without his wife knowing what was going on – he fell in love with the second woman. Adultery was committed over a long period of time before his wife would find out. When that happened his marriage was over.

Some of us that looked on from the sidelines were amazed that he would fall into the new woman’s arms. She was not at all like his wife…not at a Miss Canada… what was wrong with his head. He clicked on to something that was definitely not what he thought it was.

Oddly enough the joke of Rickrolling is that the song and its words are part of the joke…

In the practical world and also the spiritual world we experience something that has been named “Temptation”. When we yield to it and “click through” with our actions we get “Rickrolled”.

The original reason that I discovered “Rickrolling” – was that I clicked through to find about “Purity Rings” – something important to keep yourself clean and away from temptation.

Hey – have a good and safe day… and watch what you click through to… a lot of stupid stuff is waiting for you.

~ Murray Lincoln ~

Lyrics to Never gonna give you up
We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh) never gonna give, never gonna give (give you up)
(Ooh) never gonna give, never gonna give (give you up)

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

No comments: