Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Am Making a Brand New Web

The delicate beauty of Mr. Spider’s Web caught me off guard. It was 6 AM and I stood on our front veranda savoring the start of another day.

There was much to do today. Always more work to catch up on and new ideas to try out. My new “Misty Hollow Carving” business has been a delight to work at. Each day is new adventure and with new people to meet and help.

As I was pondering my day and what would be next and what should be done second… I looked up and saw the Web.

The fine lines of the Web is amazing. The spider had worked hard over the last hours developing the intricate design.

So at 6:05 AM I retrieved my camera and clicked away the first few shots. Amazing to say the least.

The first shots were using the conditions as they were at the moment of the first sighting. The Sun was hitting the Web Just right and even some of the colour that was within the web fabric seems to jump out. Amazing… just the right moment and light.

The next shot was taken with a little help from a water mist that I applied to the Web. The spider wasn’t one bit phased by the water… and kept waiting until something his supper size would come along. The water mist may help.
The photos I made came out in unbelievable colour… and definition. ( I am sure that the National Geographic Magazine will want me to travel and shoot for them – it is a WOW Moment!)

I have been thinking about the Spider waiting so patiently for its catch. Working so deftly to construct the business and then waiting for customers to come along. Knowing full well that something good will come along is the secret.

What an amazing example of getting things done, preparation and perseverance. This Spider got the job done… no matter what.

A year ago I wondered about my future. Five years ago in the midst of professional storms that were brewing around me I doubted that I would survive. Ten years ago I did not have a clue what would happen when I came to Peterborough.
I know that some think I have the order of that last paragraph messed up… but that is the way it happened. At ten years – no clue, at five years… turmoil and finally at one year ago… questions and even doubt.

I had met with a counselor after leaving the full time ministry at the church. This wonderful lady had asked the right questions and let me talk. She guided me carefully. And then slowly a better picture came into mind.

Some one suggested that it would take lots of hard work to get something like I was dreaming about to work. A few kind people told me that what I was dreaming about would never work. Others just stared at me… not offering anything.

As I thought of the spider I wondered how many times it had its Web pulled down? I wondered what the obstacles were and the planning involved to bring it to select that particular spot?

It just didn’t give up.

Today at the One year and Thirty Days into my new adventure I can say that I am happier than I have ever been. Oh I still have some doubts, fears, frustration and maybe even wonder how it will ever work out… but now there is Peace… and does it ever feel good.

Somehow the God that placed that resilience in the Spider offered me a little of the same… and after finding it again… I am making a brand new web.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

2 comments:

Debbie Karpenko said...

Very touching! You have worked hard to get where you are, as has your spider friend. Moments to reflect the hard work and what has been achieved don't come often enough. We think too often about what is left to be done or what we should have done differently. When we look back over our year's achievements we will see what was once thought to be insurmountable problems and indecisions have dissolved with the knowledge gained from our day to day experiences and opportunities grabbed when presented. Glad to have met you and appreciate all the help you have given me along the year's journey to entrepreneurship.

Your friend,
Debbie

Brenda said...

Your photo is beautiful, Murray--especially the misted web. Yes--I like the thought of the new web--very helpful.