Friday, July 29, 2016

Comfort Birds from Misty Hollow


Comfort Birds from Misty Hollow

In a recent conversation with a friend of mine I heard of a need for
Comfort Birds and the Hospice Peterborough program.

After listening to the explanation I did some research and found that a man by the name of Frank Foust has been making these small creatures since 1982- As of 2011 he had carved over 1,100 of them.


I began my new adventure of carving these birds this summer.

Yes, Frank Foust has sold them as fund raising items to help places and people after like the earthquake in Haiti.

"Comfort Birds are given to those in need as a token of kindness" ~ Frank Foust


Another carver, Stanley Cook, wrote - "To date the birds which I have carved are made of basswood and finished with either a golden pecan or cherry finish and take a few hours to complete. Because of the natural variations in wood and the finish used, no two birds are alike. In future, I hope to try different types of wood for unique results."

Stanley Cook

There is a reference to Jesus' words in the New Testament....

“Consider the sparrows; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?”

- Matthew 6:26

Like Stanley Cook (I am borrowing his words) I intend to ..."Carve these little birds as an act of kindness, to those battling depression, cancer, blindness or other life altering illnesses."




No comments: